Thursday, September 22, 2005

Must Read Press Briefing

This is a must read press briefing delivered by Col. H.R. McMaster. I knew McMaster when he was a Captain in the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment and he was widely respected by the troops and other officers, so it is nice to see him in command now of the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. His regiment just participated in Tal Afar and the briefing gives a great breakdown of the operation.

These are his final words to the assembled reporters:

COL. MCMASTER: Hey, thanks. And please, everybody, just please tell the American people how great their soldiers are. You've got to tell them. I mean, it is unbelievable what they're doing. I mean -- and I know I can't keep you any longer, but I just want to tell you, they're fighting. They're defeating the enemy. They are partnered with Iraqi security forces. They're building Iraqi security force capability. They're providing humanitarian assistance. They're organizing reconstruction right now. They are taking care of the people of the city as they're pursuing the enemy. I mean, it is extraordinary the quality of the young men and women who we have here pursuing the enemies of our nation and helping to secure the people of Tall Afar and western Ninevah. So you got to tell them.

(BTW - McMaster also authored Dereliction of Duty about leadership failures during Vietnam - worth the read.)